You guessed it. On this page you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions. Got a question not answered here? Please get in touch.
- What is the idea?
- Who are you?
- Are you genuine/is this a joke?
- How did you come up with the idea?
- Why you need $5000 for Computer Operating System (CG OS) in Chhattisgarhi?
- What will you do with this ridiculously small amount of money?
- Why should I donate to CG OS?
- How can I donate to Chaattisgarhi Operating System?
- How much time will the CG OS project take?
- If you're from the India, thinking for CG OS, why are you asking in plain English for contributions from across the world in Dollars?
- If you want to bring Operating System in Chhattisgarhi language, then why don't you float a startup company?
- Are you worried about the project - will it take off?
1. What is the idea?The idea is simple: to raise $5000 to fund translation (Localization) work required to bring Computer Operating system and applications in Chhattisgarhi Language. Hence, "My-Chattisgarhi-Language-Operating-System-Home-Page". The main motivation for doing this is to pay tribute to my birth place - Chhattisgarh. Chhattisgarh is a small state located at the middle of India. Chhattisgarhi language is spoken by 11.5 million people of MadhyaPradesh, Chhattisgarh, Bihar and Orissa, and about 80% of these people can't read English. An Operating System with all the computer application's interface in their own language will bring computer technology closer to them. Obviously, some money is required to fund logistics & translation work for a period of about 10 Months. During this period, GNOME2.1 will be translated in Chhattisgarhi. The work will be released and will remain in GNU GPL so as to be used, modified and freely distributed by everybody.
So, everyone is welcome to contribute and donate for this so nice project. You can contribute any amount, as little as say $1.00 (One dollar) or if you think, you can contribute for entire project. If received contribution exceeds more than what is needed, extra money will be utilized for additional translations and bringing out future versions. The list of contributors will be displayed in the pages of this site as and when contributions received. For an individual or for a company, the link to their site along with their image/ad/logo having max. 20x1000 pixel will also be displayed if they wish so. However, no obscene or offensive images are allowed. The list will remain displayed as long as services of Blogger remain free.
Translation work will be started as soon minimum 20% of the required fund is raised through contributions. Many things have been achieved through community contributions. Open Source Linux is biggest example of work of community contribution. Wikipedia, the Internet's largest encyclopedia has evolved and expanding through community contributions. Similarly, it is hoped that CG OS will also come to shape one fine day, with your generous contributions.
Come! join to be a part of ANOTHER INTERNET HISTORY!
2. Who are you?My name is Ravishankar Shrivastava, I'm 47 years old and I live in a small town called Ratlam in Madhya Pradesh, INDIA. I am an Engineering Graduate and had served Govt. of MP as technocrat for 20 years. I had quit that job voluntarily and now I am actively involved in localizing computer applications in Hindi. I had done pioneering work in bringing Linux Operating System in Hindi. As a freelance volunteer translator at Indlinux, I had translated (localized in Hindi) most of the initial versions of Gnome2.08, almost all KDE3.2, XFCE4.0 and many more. As a result, Linux Operating system is now available in Hindi, along with hundreds of applications that ranges from e-mail clients to word-processors to games. Currently, I am doing OpenOffice2.0 Help file translation, as a result, OpenOffice will be available entirely in Hindi along with its help contents. I am really looking forward to bring a computer system entirely in Chhattisgarhi language. That can be done by translating GNOME 2.1 in Chhattisgarhi.
3. Are you genuine/is this a joke?I am completely genuine and although this site might look funny in various ways, it is not a joke! I really am dead serious about bringing computer operating system in my mother tongue - that obviously is Chhattisgarhi. I know that even in distant future, no company will ever dream to bring Computer Operating system in Chhattisgarhi Language. Because, there is no market for that. People of Chhattisgarh are mostly poor Paddy farmers. They Only can afford Open source free softwares. Further, they do not know English. So, the only option remain for them is to use Computers having interface in their native language. Agreed, that Hindi is very close to Chhattisgarhi, but it still is distinct, and, anyway, by this project, Chhattisgarhi will be archived as another computer supported language for mankind. Here is my picture if you want to memorize in case if we meet somewhere: I write and maintain two Hindi blogs - Chinten Aur Baucharen which is personal blog in which I write satirical comments on socio-political current affairs, and Rachanakar where I publish literature - mostly from writers who have no access to computers. I had written several technical articles in India's premier technology magazine - Information Technology and Linux For you. I had also written technical stuff for online Hindi literary magazine Abhivyakti. You can also see my English blog TechTrouble where I write some tech stuffs with a dash of humor :)
4. How did you come up with the idea?Yes! you guessed it right again. I got the idea to raise fund for CG OS while writing an article about Milliondollarhomepage and Oneredpaperclip. I thought that if such ideas can click, then extensions (or, you can freely say, copy) to these ideas will also definitely work. Precisely, it was May 4th, 2006 when I shed my initial hesitation and started modifying HTML of Milliondollar pages to suit CG OS page. When an idea that was unique and had captured people's imagination, but with the whole purpose of making money can help generate a million dollar, then it will certainly raise fund way less than that, but for a better cause. No point being shy about it! I think we Indians can sometimes be too shy about money. Well damn it, I DO NOT want to see my mother tongue - Chhattisgarhi in poor state as far as computers are concerned!
So anyway, after a day or two of initial hesitation, I straightway went ahead to use the idea that already had worked well. Once I determined, the rest was like a breeze, as I simply have to copycat milliondollar home page.
5. Why you need $5000 for Computer Operating System (CG OS) in Chhattisgarhi?I don't. The money will go to logistics, expenses and day-to-day petty expenditure involved along with remunerations to translator/typist and linguist experts. If the required money is raised, then, within ten months CG OS will be released. If more than required money is raised then the rest amount will be utilized for translating KDE, OpenOffice etc. in Chhattisgarhi and maintaining future versions. Even if only 20-30 percent of the required fund is raised, the work will be started in anticipation.
Anyway, raising any money whatsoever by asking people to contribute generously had to be worth a try. After all, I had nothing to loose with! Furthermore, I also knew the site had to be strikingly similar to the Milliondollar and hence 'My-Chhattisgarhi-Operating-System-Home-Page' in order to catch people's attention - anything else just wouldn't cut it, eg. 'CG OS '. Er... no.
6. What will you do with this ridiculously small amount of money?As I had said earlier, the money will go to logistics, supports, remunerations to translators/typist and other petty expenses like cost of internet access, telephone etc. I have arrived to this amount considering my past experiences as Hindi translator. Remunerations will be paid not on commercial rates, but only to the FLOSS volunteers to cope up their everyday computing expenses, hence with this small amount and about ten months time, CG OS with Linux & Gnome2.1 Desktop will be ready to deploy in PCs all across the world.
I don't know, but if this project attracts generous contributions more than what has been asked far, ($5000 is not a big figure after all!) then further translations like KDE will also be done in Chhattisgarhi and future versions will be maintained with the help of additional fund. I may also travel a bit to show working CG OS after completion of this project. I may also like to train people in localizing applications who speak bizarre language, say, Afrikan JULU, if they want to bring Localized application in their own language. So watch this space!
7. Why should I contribute to CG OS?Because you know, community flourishes with good deeds such as contributions and donations. Further, you will have your name with a link to your site with image on the homepage of this site that could potentially be seen by millions of people over the coming years. The site will be online for as long as services of Blogger remain free, that's guaranteed. So you really could own a piece of 'ANOTHER INTERNET HISTORY'!
8. How can I contribute to Chaattisgarhi Operating System?You can donate through Paypal the easiest way to make payment. Just click the Paypal donation button at the right side of this page. Alternately, you can send your contributions through Western Union Money Transfer, International Money order or through any other mode you wish. Just mail me for any assistance.
I also thought that if initial buzz will be able to click some interest across individuals and media then raising required fund will take no time.
9. How much time will the CG OS project take?At the most, 10 months, if a couple of dedicated translator do the job. Initial setup is ready as I can take technical as well as translation part. In fact, Gedit (see screenshot 1 screenshot 2 screenshot 3 screenshot 4 screenshot 5 ), the Gnome word processor application has already been localized in Chhattisgarhi.
The idea is to create something useful to the community which I belong. It will be nice to be a part of something that stays solid and permanent for many years. You can be a part of that!
10. If you're from the India, thinking for CG OS, why are you asking in plain English for contributions from across the world in Dollars?There is no doubt that US dollars are now termed as universal currency on the internet, so it made more sense to ask in dollars. And, if I ask in Hindi or in Chhattisgarhi language instead of English, barely a few dozen will be able read!
Also, given that the largest online population in the world uses English language, more people will be able to relate to the concept.
11. If you want money for bringing Operating System in Chhattisgarhi language why don't you float a startup company?As I had said earlier, Chhattisgarhi Operating system will find no buyer, else Microsoft might be selling one already. Chhattisgarhi population is very poor and can't afford expensive software. OpenSorce software is the only alternative, and hopefully, with generous community donations, one fine day, Chhattisgarhi language OS will also be able run on a PC of a native Chhattisgarhiya!
12. Are you worried about the project - will it take off?Not at all. It is bound to happen (this is the internet after all), If not this project, then may be some other Chhattisgarhi Operating System Project will definitely click.
Who knows, someone somewhere may be working at very this point of time on that goal! So, I say good luck to this project!
UPDATE : Project stands complete! See top of this blog for details.